18 March, 2011

St Patrick's Day

So, yesterday was the fantastic ST PATRICK'S DAY!!!! Matt and I had a blast at our local bar, the Main Event. Karaoke, drinks, and great friends and new friends!
I ended up making a new skirt out of some re-conditioned fabrics...the green was originally a twin-sized duvet cover and the brown was a set of curtains. Originally the brown was going to be a part of my new Peasantry Garb for Faire, and it still may be, but I needed something to line the thinner green cotton with. So I figured why not stick the two together?!? Turned out to be a fantastic idea and it took me a day to make. I started yesterday morning around 11 and finished it around 6, with a three-hour break in the middle while I went to lunch and ran a couple errands with Matt. So, without further ado: the new skirt, and the full ensemble when it was done!
Here are the two fabrics side by side. Sorry the shot is so dark, my camera is high, I think. It works, then it doesn't...anyway. I had made the brown skirt nearly a year ago and hadn't finished the waistband or the hem, so I decided to double-layer with it. First to get it out of my stash pile, and second because I love the colors together!


Here's the skirt as I stitched the panels together. I must say, I really like how the base of M4090 goes together so quickly and easily!


The down-in view of the two skirts pinned together. The green ended up on the outside, yes. But to get that final effect with the final look I wanted at this particular seam, I had to stitch them together this way. This is not what the pattern directions say to do, but I was feeling creative and inspired. I wanted to make the skirt a drawstring-waist and needed to make the waistband itself into a casing rather than just a waistband. So I skipped the interfacing and starched two pieces of waistband, then basted them together. But first was this step, wherein I stitched the top fabric to the under-layer on the inside and followed a guide (see next photo) to be able to turn the skirts out and have a "lacing gap" for ease of donning, as well as a nice, smooth inside seamed edge.


Here's a close-up of the guide for the "lacing gap" (still don't know precisely what to call it!). The basic premise is that I stitch all the way around the top, starting at the left side of the gap guide, then when I reach the right side on my way around, I stitch along the chalk line. For added security, I double-stitched this part, then clipped down the middle to within 1/4" of the tip.


Upon turning out the skirts, here is the un-banded waistline:


And a close-up of the "lacing gap". I keep referring to this spot as the "lacing gap" because in the original pattern, the instructions say to stitch in a continuous lap and then install grommets and lace across this space. I ended up using it pretty much as a spacer for putting the skirt on easily (think an unzippered fly in a pair of jeans).


After this, I attached the waistband and stitched in some strategic box pleats to take in the excess and give the skirt extra flounce. When attaching the waistband, I ran into a few tiny issues pertaining to how to making it a casing. I ended up hemming the edges with a double fold, then zig-zagged across the ends to keep them down. After that, I pressed it in half and pressed up about a 1/2" edge and pretty much attached it like bias-tape leaving nearly 2/3 of the band floating to hold the lacing.

Here's the final look!


No comments: